soa-rm-editors message

Subject: RE: [soa-rm-editors] wd-soa-rm-10ED.pdf

In the referenced draft, I would like to propose the following text in
lieu of lines 231-256 (the beginning of section 3.1)

A key concept of SOA is that of service. In general, entities (people
and organizations) create capabilities to solve or support a solution
for the problems they face in the course of their business. SOA is a way
to organize this world around the service concept - the performance of
work (a function) by one for another.  However, service, it is typically
used, also includes the following related concepts:
* The capability to perform work for another
* The offer to perform work for another
* The specification of the work offered for another

The concept of an offer follows directly from the dictionary definition
of service: 'by one' and 'for another.' These offers are made by
providers which may possess a capability that address a need. The
convergence of a capability and a need results in an interaction in
which work is performed for some entity that needs it performed.  At its
core, this interaction is "an act" as opposed to "an object." Therefore,
the service concept focuses the necessary interfaces and behavior to
support the interaction and its consequences.
The concepts above emphasize a distinction between a capability and the
ability to bring that capability to bear in the context of SOA. It is
assumed that the capability was created and exists independently of SOA.

In general, people and organizations create capabilities to solve or
support the solution for problems they face in the course of their
business. SOA is conceived as a way of making those capabilities visible
and supporting standard means of access so the existing capabilities can
be repurposed or new capabilities can be readily substituted to improve
the solutions. Therefore, a service is a means to access such
capabilities.

Rebekah Metz
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton