soa-rm-editors message

Subject: RE: [soa-rm-editors] alternate description of execution context

What are the general thoughts on this replacement?

Duane

*******************************
Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com
Vice Chair - UN/CEFACT
http://www.uncefact.org/
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee
Personal Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/
*******************************

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 10:32 PM
To: soa-rm-editors

In reading v10, I don't believe the current discussion of execution context is clear and being this is something new we are trying to explain, I offer below some alternate words, especially for lines 623-630.  I figured I'd run it by the editors first to see if we could come to a consensus among those who have previously discussed the concept rather than starting the discussion in a room of people with little if any context.

<suggested>

The execution context of a service interaction is a set of infrastructure elements, process entities and policy assertions and a collection of agreements and coordination of conditions, the result of which enables service consumers and service providers to establish the appropriateness and explicit mechanisms for the invocation of a service.  As noted in Section 3.2.2, a service description includes how to use a service, what conditions must be satisfied to use the service, and what effects will result from using the service.  However, the service consumer has a corresponding description of the needs which are to be satisfied, the conditions under which the consumer is willing to have a service satisfy those needs, and expectations on the effects of using the service.  Visibility alerts the service consumer and service provider that an interaction may have value, but a matching of consumer and provider descriptions, policies, and constraints is necessary for service use to be desired, allowed, and enabled to occur.

The consumer and provider can be envisioned as separate places on a map and, for a service to actually be invoked, a path must be established between those two places.  This path is the execution context.  As with a path between places, it can be a temporary connection (e.g. a tenuous footbridge of a very limited agreement) or a well-defined coordination (e.g. a super highway) that can be easily reused in the future.

Note, there may be third parties, for example, government regulators, who set some of the conditions for the execution context, but this merely increases the conditions and constraints needing to be coordinated and may require additional information exchange to complete the execution context.

The execution context is central to many aspects of a service interaction. It defines, for example, the decision point for any policy enforcement relating to the service interaction. Note that a policy decision point is not necessarily the same as an enforcement point: an execution context is not by itself something that lends itself to enforcement. On the other hand, any enforcement mechanism of a policy is likely to take into account the particulars of the actual service interaction.

The execution context is likely distinct for a specific service and prospective consumer. Different instances of the same service – denoting interactions between a given service provider and different service consumers for example – are distinguished by virtue of the fact that their execution contexts are different.

Finally, the execution context is also the context in which the interpretation of data that is exchanged takes place – it is where the symbol grounding happens as it were. A particular string has a particular meaning in a service interaction in a particular context – the execution context.

</suggested>

Note, this is just the result of my reading and I did not check to see whether others have submitted issues on this section.

Ken

---

Ken Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508