soa-rm-editors message

Subject: consolidated v11 issues and proposed dispositions

The attached spreadsheet combines my proposed dispositions, a new column for Frank's comments on those PDs, and an additional column with my further comments. I also included Peter's glossary comments (without issues numbers) at the end. With the new columns and text added, I color-coded the rows as follows:

green - Frank accepted my PD or I am accepting his comment. There may be an additional comment for consideration when actually modifying the master copy (103).

blue - The PDs and additional comment still need a little discussion to come to closure (12).

red - This probably requires some nontrivial discussion (5).

The numbers in parenthesis above represent the number of issues (out of the 120 total) falling into each category. Of the five red ones, four have to do with if/how to label the arcs in the figures. The other one was issue 446 which asked for some words for Figure 1. While I wasn't greatly inspired, I submit the following as a beginning for the text to augment lines 115-116.

Figure 1 shows how a reference model for SOA relates to other distributed systems architectural inputs. The concepts and relationships defined by the reference model are intended to be the basis for describing references architectures and patterns that will define more specific categories of SOA designs. Concrete architectures will be derived from reference architectures and other related models, such as [can't think of example right now], will fulfill the needs for architectural work. Architecture is not done in isolation but must account for goals, motivation, and requirements that define the actual problems being addressed. While reference architectures can form the basis of classes of solutions, concrete architectures will define specific solution approaches. Architecture also builds on other infrastructure work, such as protocols, profiles, specifications, and standards. SOA implementations combine all of these, from the more generic architectural principles and infrastructure to the specifics that define the current needs, and represent specific implementations that will be built and used in an operational environment.

Note, adding this text relieves the aesthetic problem for issue 445.

One final note: I didn't comment on or color-code Peter's glossary issues and these are in addition to the 120, which already include several glossary items. I haven't had the fortitude to tackle the glossary :-)

Ken

P.S. I assume Frank still has control of the master document and will incorporate the changes.

IssuesListV11-3(all).xls

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305 phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508