Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] "Intelligent agent" technology staging a comeback

Joe:
  As you noted, that article is quite old. In fact, General Magic
went bust not long after that article!
  I think that agents have gone mainstream, and noone has noticed!
(Which is a good thing in my estimation)
  As for intelligent agent, I am a little distrustful of the term. (I
say that as someone who has spent a lot of time developing
technologies for intelligent systems) I would prefer terms such as
smart, effective, etc. I.e., technologies quietly doing their thing
without getting in anyone's face.
  On the other hand, there are some ideas that are currently very
much in the philosophy stage that I believe are critical to the long
term goal of genuine interoperability across ownership boundaries.
I.e., ideas that will make it simpler for 'my system to effectively
collaborate with your system'.
  I am reminded of what someone (may have been Edison) said:
"Engineers tend to over-estimate the short-term effect of their work,
and under-estimate the long-term effects."
Frank