Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Point of Action

Frank,

Playing Devil's Advocate, couldn't I argue the Point of Action is part
of the participants private actions and no business of the public?
Shouldn't I only be concerned with the real world effects that result,
even if the Point of Action is the "fulcrum for many aspects of
services"?  Is the Point of Action one of those things that needs to be
described as part of constraints or policies so the public is aware of
possible side effects from a particular Point of Action?

Ken

On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Frank McCabe wrote:

> It is pretty early days in the RA work. However, we have identified at
> least one concept that might be considered for the RM. This should go
> in section 3.2.3 (Real World Effect).
>
> ==============
> Point of Action
>
> The time and location where a capability is applied by a service
> provider in reaction to an interaction between the service provider
> and consumer. The point of action is often internal to the service
> provider but represents the locus of the provider's response to the
> consumer in actually applying its capabilities (and analogously, the
> service consumer may also have points of action).
>
> The point of action is a fulcrum for many aspects of service,
> including the management of services, policy enforcement, and
> achieving the real world effect.
>
> ===============
>
> On re-reading the RM, I realize that there were analogous concepts
> associated with policies: Policy Decision Point and Policy Enforcement
> Point that have been dropped (they were present in an earlier draft).
>
> It is a little early to be certain whether we will need these concepts
> in the RA, but I am fairly confident that we will. The issue for me is
> whether they also belong in the RM.
>
> Comments?
>
> Frank

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379