Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Burton Group SOA-RA

Frank,

Why don't you mention this to Anne? (the idea of them joining the TC)

Or I can if you prefer.

Joe
(not a lawyer but plays one on TV)

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Frank McCabe [mailto:frank.mccabe@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:54 PM
To: peter@justbrown.net
Cc: 'Ken Laskey'; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

I think that if the Burton group decided to join the TC then that would
solve all the issues:

1. Anyone joining the group has to sign on the IPR of the group 2.
Anyone, including current members of the group, has their own
perspective. It is up the collective gestalt to decide what to do with
an individual member's contribution.
3. If Burton did decide to join the group, we would welcome their input
and experience in designing reference architectures.

On the other hand, I can see all kinds of problems in inviting people to
make contributions without their joining the group. The most compelling
issue for me is having to deal with one-off IPR issues: I am not a
lawyer and I cannot afford to hire one.

Frank

On Apr 12, 2006, at 2:55 AM, Peter F Brown wrote:

> Ken:
> I know you meant no disrespect and I was only commenting on the
> opportunity
> or not to bring her stuff in, as a possible valuable contribution,
> and if
> so, how...
>
> Take care,
> Peter

IPR,
> in this
> 	case Burton Group as much as Anne's. I'd be happy to talk to her
> see
> 	whether she and the Burton Group would be willing to provide the
> papers to
> 	the SC list (we often have companies providing input and even
> software to
> 	OASIS TCs, so there's no new ground to cover there...)
>
> 	Peter

FFRDC
> 	EA and CIO face-to-face meeting here at the Lab in January, Anne
> Thomas
> 	Manes gave an introductory briefing on SOA.  She did not go into
> detail
> 	about Burton's SOA-RA but rather gave a general briefing about
SOA
> as
> 	"something you do, not something you buy or build."  Here
briefing
> was very
> 	rudimentary so I don't think it would have value to the team to
> upload it
> 	and I would probably have to obtain permission to do so anyway.
The
> Burton
> 	SOA-RA does, however, have value and we would be wise to do due
> diligence on
> 	the their RA in terms of its organization and content for
relevance
> to our
> 	work.
>

> 	So do we try and get somebody like Ms. Manes to join the SOA-RM
TC
> 	and hence SOA-RA SC?  (And if so, it looks like Burton would
have to
> become
> 	an OASIS member.)  This might be a challenge given that as most
> analyst
> 	organizations like Burton, Gartner, Forrester, etc. charge a fee
for
> these
> 	type of consulting services.  In fact, I don't see any of the
> analyst
> 	organizations I just mentioned as OASIS members.
>

> 	Thoughts??
>

> 	- Jeff
>

> 	---
> 	Ken Laskey
> 	MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
> 	7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:
703-983-1379