Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Requirements for Governance

I agree, Ken - it's a fine line for us. I think it would be valuable for another initiative (outside of our TC/SC) to create a standard framework for establishing SOA governance within an organization, but for us to consider treating the topic more on the light side.

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 3:00 PM
To: Danny Thornton
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

My question with governance, especially the management variety, is how much is it just having the appropriate information available through description.  With the caveat that I am behind in my reading and have not gone through the articles identified over the past week, I don't believe SOA requires policy beyond what is usually generated in the world, but it needs a disciplined way to make use of policy.  So service description needs to be able to point to the applicable policy, possibly indicate the criticality of the policy (by using a defined criticality term and pointing to the definition of that term), and possibly point to the engine to be used to evaluate whether the current or proposed interaction complies with the policy.  A level of compliance can be specified, again with the level definition being referenced along with any specific level value.

Note, the onus here is how do you specify policy and how do you evaluate compliance.  (For those who missed it, this week W3C acknowledged the Member Submission of WS-Policy.)  Obviously, we need to prod this a little harder but it seems to give the flexibility to have any specific governance plan without SOA caring about the specifics.

Am I missing something?

Ken