Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Make way for SOA 2.0

Come to think of it, the distinction between EDA and SOA relates to SOA-RM via the concepts of Awareness and Visibility, in that with EDA these concepts do not apply.

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Jeffrey A Estefan [mailto:Jeffrey.A.Estefan@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:51 PM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello Ken!

I don't think we'll want to get too wrapped around the SOA/EDA axle in our RA work.  As Joe points out, the discussion is not new.  The fact is, both are viable architectural styles that are more synergistic than orthogonal.  In SOA, the principal actors are service providers and service consumers; in EDA, the principal actors are event posters and event processors.

The industry is still struggling with SOA adoption (and hopefully, we [OASIS] can help!).  EDA requires expertise in CEP (Complex Event Processing).  As a consequence, EDA is a bit ahead of its time and will likely take more time for industry adoption.  You'll often hear about it in the context of the "real-time enterprise."

Bye for now...

 - Jeff