Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] How to Refer to Various Uses of the word "machine"

<Quote>
So how does "SOA virtual machine" sound?  Other variants?
</Quote>

I wonder if people might interpret this as something similar to a JVM,
which (as we know) is essentially a piece of software - which may
confuse people into thinking that SOA is something you need to install
on your PC (note that I did not say "on your machine":)

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Jeffrey A Estefan [mailto:Jeffrey.A.Estefan@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:07 PM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] How to Refer to Various Uses of the word
"machine"

Hello Michael,

Hope all is well in Bean Town!

My recommendation is that we adopt a "technology-independent virtual
machine" approach, and I think Frank would agree.  The term "virtual
machine" has been around since the 60's and I believe we [in the RA]
should leverage some key Model-Driven Architecture (MDA) concepts such
as the Platform Independent Model (PIM), which is essentially a
technology-independent virtual machine.  So how does "SOA virtual
machine"
sound?  Other variants?

Because we're OASIS and not the OMG, we won't want to get hung up on
advocating MDA; indeed MDA has met some resistance in industry in recent
years.  Nevertheless, I think we can go a long way if we develop a PIM
(technology-independent virtual machine) for SOA.  If we choose to go
forward with such an approach, we might want to think about developing a
SOA core model described by a UML Profile (for SOA).  There are some
examples out there, for example,
http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/cs/ag-engels/ag_engl/People/Thoene/MRDSA/U
ML-ProfileForSOA.pdf.
But I digress!  My apologies.