Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] How to Refer to Various Uses of the word "machine"

Hi Joe,

The potential confusion between our proposed use of the term "SOA virtual
machine" (or some variant) with the term "Java Virtual Machine (JVM)" was
certainly something that crossed my mind; however, I believe it's just an
artifact of the more recent popularity of Java whereas the term "virtual
machine" has been around for decades.

I think we can alleviate the problem by stating up front [in the RA text]
that our definition of virtual machine is abstract in nature and is
technology-neutral, hence, it should not be confused with specific
technologies such as the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) that provides the
runtime environment for the Java programming language or other
technology-specific "VM" variants.

Incidentally, the term "abstract machine" also came to mind, but the
Computer Science purists out there often associate abstract machine with
abstract computers and Turing machines.

 - Jeff