Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] How to Refer to Various Uses of the word "machine"

I agree.

How about declining to use "machine?" By the time we finish the job
of satisfactorily defining our particular usage, and enforcing it
across the specification, we are liable to spend a lot of time on it.

Working on the Security Threat Model, I could be happy with
discussing the "mechanics or operational processes involved in
achieving...."

Metaphors are almost unavoidable because most human understanding
requires them. Apparently, that is the way our brains prefer to work.
However, we need to be careful about how we do that. There's a whole
world of tropes out there, just waiting to be used incorrectly and
trip us up, such as identifying a metaphor, which states that
something "is" something else to show how the first something
partakes of the attributes of the second something, with simile,
which says something is "like" something else.

Sorry for being pedantic, but metaphor is the second most badly
abused term in the computing lexicon, with the first being
"paradigm." I have given up trying to get people to understand that
paradigm is an example of a principle, not the principle itself, and
I now just accept that is forever going to be used in place of
principle and often at the same time. However, there is still hope
for metaphor. ;-)

Pedantically Yours,
Rex