Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Good Security Reference Material

Thanks Jeff, Danny, Tom & Dave,

My webhosting service, which handles my domain-based email, was down
with a cascading set of crashes that ate its way through their RAID 2
backup and forced them to do a more laborious tape-backup
restoration. The restrictions of Sarbanes-Oxley requires that my
audit trails be reliable, and since I eat my own cooking, I have had
to wait it out and start catching up on my work now that the system
is back up. This also requires a boatload of verification for my
purposes, so I am just beginning to get my head above water.
Unfortunately this had nothing to do with missing this week's
meeting. I was just overbooked. It has just made the process of
catching up a bit more tedious.

Blah blah blah, disclaimer done. While I appreciate these resource
materials and I will avail myself of them, as I was going through the
process of the initial draft, and going through the materials I have,
I realized that once we step beyond abstract generalities in our
descriptions of the threat model and start getting specific, we are
going down a road that is almost certainly going to be filled with
competing counter-measures, so while I don't think we would be in
danger of becoming too-concrete if we mention the available
standards, as examples only, once we get started, we are going to be
faced with Canadian, European, Asian, jurisdictions wondering if this
work is really US-only, no matter how dominant our economy and its
governmental regulations are for us personally.

This is going to be the devil sitting on our shoulders throughout
this exercise, and just so you don't think I'm trying to be the
international gadfly stinging us every time we turn around, let me
say that as current chair of the Cyberwar Work Group of the
Cooperative Open-Source Medical Banking Architecture and Technology
(COMBAT) Project of the Medical Banking Project heading off to DC at
the end of this month for another conference, I can guaran-darn-tee
you I aint. Sorry for the mini-rant, but you'd actually have to be
worried about the NOAA HazCollect implementation of the OASIS Common
Alerting Protocol (CAP), as Tom and Dave and I are, to know how
current circumstances exemplify how difficult it can be once the door
is opened to specific, concrete implementation-specific instances of
security-related standards, or even advisory material.

So, as we thread our way through this minefield, I have to say that
we better stay abstract unless we want to get saddled with compliance
considerations. We need to set the stage for good policy, not
threat-specific measures per jurisdiction, or we will create a
monster.

Now, I hope I get a chance to read up on this more, and discover that
I have been howling at the moon. ;-)