Subject: Comments on Governance

I think there are many good points brought up in the Governance write-up but we need to be careful not to too closely adopt the governance models of single systems.  The proliferation of review boards are necessary if you are working to a contract with deliverables but can be a real bane to effective agility we want to get with SOA.  The whole question of whether there is a marketplace of services or whether the service population is tightly controlled to avoid duplication is an important consideration;  I would argue this has a direct effect on what you need in the way of discovery (unless your UDDI registry is simply a collection of who came out on top during the corporate infighting for funding).

Go back to our definition of loose coupling.  There are a lot of traditional requirements in the governance write-up -- which of these constraints do we really need?  What level of control do we give up to allow the unexpected connections from which SOA will really derive its value?

Ken

---
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379