Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Comments on Needs and Capabilities

Yes, the phrase "SOA deciding" is a bit too anthropomorphic. I changed it to "the implementers  of a SOA". That does sound better.

Michael

At 01:12 AM 7/4/2006, Ken Laskey wrote:
I'd think the third paragraph (with a few edits) expresses an important point that isn't covered elsewhere.

Formally, capabilities are found by a service consumer because they are currently, or will become visible. The visibility may be through a description of the capability (where access by means of a service would be included in the description) or a service description (where the real world effects imply the underlying capabilities.)  But how does a given SOA decide what capabilities are needed? [not sure if "SOA deciding" is the way I'd phrase it.]  Some parts of a SOA are capability-driven because an organization has certain capabilities that it wishes to expose. Other parts are need-driven because an organization has certain needs, and wishes to make those visible in order to find those organizations that have, or are willing to build, services that meet those needs. Need-driven capabilities might be built specifically for a given situation, or they might be dynamically created.

In thinking about the fourth paragraph, should we note that a big part of bringing needs and capabilities together in an SOA requires aligning policies and resolving policy differences?

Finally, in looking at what it means for a need to be satisfied by a capability, satisfying is not built on expectations of effect but on actual RWEs.  I chose a capability based on expectations but my satisfaction is how well the RWEs meet those expectations.

Ken