Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] random question

Part of the ftf discussion covered to what extent a role is a convenient collection of attributes, and the role becomes a composite attribute.

From what I recall from my reading of the facet classification literature, there is less in the way of extensive attribute taxonomies and more a collection of smaller taxonomies that describe a given attribute group, such as size.  You can use any facet you think is useful in describing your thing in your context.

Ken

On Aug 24, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Ellinger, Robert wrote:

Ken, good questions and ones that I've wrestled with for awhile.

I think there are good reasons for each depending on whether they are business functions (role-based) or IT functions (attribute-based), and all IT infrastructures, independent of the type of architecture has both.

The buckets that Joe is describing are IT buckets.  They include: Interaction services, process services, Information services, access services, business application services, and partnering services.  Other than partnering services and potentially business application services, all of these are IT functions, while  partnering services and business application services may be treated as IT functions.  The assembly of these create composite applications; these are business functions.

The issue that I think you are dealing with is the famous granularity/recursive assembly issue; a composite application at one level may be treated as a Service Component at another level of composition.

I think it boils down to this, both RBAC and ABAC are taxonomic views into a single Service Component repository.  Which view is used is dependent on the role of the person needing the information.  The business process engineer requires the RBAC to model the process, while the composite application assembler and the developer need the ABAC to implement the Composite Application to support the business process.

That is my two cents, though I may be one cent off base.

Thoughts?

Bob