Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Views and viewpoints

Jeff,

I finally did a thorough read of 1471 and while I think there is some
art in using it (as this continuing thread points out), I think it
captures nicely the difference between the thing and a representation
of the thing.  To check my understanding, does the following make
sense?

View - description of context, i.e. the world and concerns we are
dealing with

Viewpoint - why view is important, to whom, and how to capture so it
satisfies the motivation for creating the view and is effective for
those needing to use the view

I think some of the why and to whom shows up in the description of the
view but it is important to state your objectives and make sure your
representation serves those purposes.

Is this reasonable?

Ken

On Sep 21, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Jeffrey A. Estefan wrote:

> Danny and RA Team,
>
> The various architectural frameworks out there (i.e., DoDAF, TOGAF,
> RM-ODP, etc.) are not a good source of trying to gain an understanding
> of the distinction between views and viewpoints.  You are right, they
> do not consistently use the terminology.
>
> This is why a formal standard like the ANSI/IEEE 1471-2000 is so
> important. Some of the frameworks actually pre-date the release of the
> 1471 Std and this adds to the confusion because not all frameworks
> have updated their respective references to be 1471 compliant.
>
> Additional clarification on views and viewpoints is provided in Annex
> A of the 1471 and some example viewpoints are provided in the Annex B
> of the Std, available on our Kavi site at:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm-ra/download.php/
> 17538/IEEE1471-2000.pdf
>
> Remember, a view is what you see and a viewpoint is the perspective
> from where you're looking from.  In compliance with the current
> revision of the 1471 Std, each view must correspond to one and only
> one viewpoint; however, a model(s) can be used in more than one view.
>
> As we move forward, it's better that we not get hung up on the actual
> viewpoint names and worry about that later.  What we need to do is
> start by identifying the important elements that comprise our
> candidate viewpoints, i.e., stakeholders, stakeholder concerns,
> modeling techniques, etc..  Then we'll want to decide what models
> should be part of specific views that correspond to our baseline set
> of viewpoints.  Again, I think the actual names of the viewpoints can
> fall out later.
>
> I've tried to provide additional guidance and example viewpoints in
> The Architecture Wiki page at:
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/soa-rm/TheArchitecture/ViewsAndViewpoints
>
> If you or anybody else on the RA team have any additional questions,
> please drop me a line.  This is my field.
>
> Regards...
>
> - Jeff

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379