Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Reverse engineering WSDL a bad idea

XML Infoset is the abstract data model behind XML.  There are 11 items
defined that make up XML 1.0.  Only 6 are allowed in most WS protocols such
as SOAP.  I haven't looked at WSDL and what they use.

It is far too abstract for us and also not relevant since it describes the
data model items, not specific data items.  (example - element, attribute,
PI, comment, namespace  etc.)

What would be a great idea is to study the abstract model for WS-Security
and WS-Policy to see what items they work with.  I feel this abstraction is
where the RA can meet the protocols halfway.

Duane

On 10/11/06 2:32 PM, "Jeffrey A. Estefan" <jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

> RA Team,
>
> I heard a lot of talk this morning about the potential to reuse what
> industry has developed in terms of SOA-implementation standards, for example
> WSDL and the WSDL data model  (1.x, 2.0, or otherwise) as a possible means
> to model the Service Description (SD) of the RA.  Isn't that an XML Infoset?
> Frankly, I think that is a bad idea.  What industry is lacking is a
> technology inert reference architecture.  We all know SOA is not new and
> that XML-based Web services have been buzzing for the past few years.  In
> the not too distant past, we had OMG CORBA IDL and Microsoft IDL as an
> example of an implementation language neutral service description model.
> Today, XML-based WSDL is arguable the most popular implementation-language
> neutral way to document service descriptions/service contracts, but who
> knows what's going to take its place tomorrow.  We should just as easily be
> able to map CORBA IDL or Microsoft IDL SD onto our RA SD as we can a W3C
> WSDL SD or a Java Interface SD.
>
> The RM provides the basic skeletal structure for us and we should start our
> modeling activities from the RM as a basis and start putting some "meat on
> the bones."  After a first iteration, we should conduct a test to see if, to
> first order, we can map a set of technology-specific SDs such as WSDL, IDL,
> Java Interface, etc. onto our SD model for V&V purposes.  If we do not do
> this, there is little likelihood that the RA spec that we do finally come up
> with will actually get adopted and used by the stakeholder community we are
> targeting for the RA.
>
> Incidentally, we need to start by defining the static model for the SD and
> not a dynamic model.  The dynamic aspect on use of the SD will come later
> when we model interaction.
>
> My two cents...
>
>  - Jeff E.

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.       *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee*
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                *