Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Registries and Repositories

Danny:

Thanks.  In addition to working on some of the standards and architectures
for registry-repository, I have worked in two companies that built such
beasts including Yellow Dragon Software who was acquired for the
Registry-Repository software by my current employer Adobe Systems.  Matt is
the lead architect on making sure our service registry is properly
implemented in LiveCycle to facilitate our services layer.

http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2006/08/adobe-livecycle-8-gets-soa-right.htm

Duane

On 12/4/06 9:40 PM, "Danny Thornton" <danny_thornton2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The registry does store some data along with
> meta-data.  For example, UDDI stores data for the
> businessEntity, businessService, bindingTemplate, and
> tModel.  The tModel itself can be meta-data.
>
> I looked at your slides Duane (Justice Registry
> Prototype Use Case) and I like the way you represented
> the Logical Data Model in the registry. Your slides
> have given me an answer to an Information Model
> problem I am working on at work.   I also took a look
> at your racing video.  Next time you are video taping
> in your Porsche, how about a power slide for us. A
> take down of all those cones at the end would have
> been really impressive.
>
> I see a distinction between registry and repository
> that I prefer and I don't think it is too
> controversial to what others are thinking.
>
> Danny
>
> --- Duane Nickull <dnickull@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> Service Registries act as pointers to metadata that
>> describe the service.
>> They fulfill many aspects of the SOA metamodel
>> including the visibility (by
>> making the service endpoints findable to the
>> consumer), pointing at
>> artifacts that contain the metadata for things like
>> the service policy, the
>> service description and other things.  Holding the
>> code that makes the
>> service run is not something one would normally
>> employ a registry/repository
>> for.
>>
>> The repository is not as simple as it at first
>> seems.  Many people have a
>> perception that a repository is one "thing" when in
>> fact, the artifacts
>> might be de-centralized.  For example, the registry
>> might hold a static copy
>> of a WSDL in resident memory via an internal
>> repository, but it might point
>> at an extrinsic artifact for the service policy
>> which resides on a different
>> system.  While this is nice in terms of a dynamic
>> system that can facilitate
>> some aspects of late binding (simple changes like
>> ports, URL's, SOAP
>> versions etc.), it also introduces a problem of
>> synchronization between the
>> registry and the repository.  The registry might not
>> be notified if an
>> extrinsic objects changes state.  This could be
>> solved using a mechanism
>> like  WS-Eventing.
>>
>> I have many sets of slides available for download at
>> www.nickull.net on the
>> subject (including ISO 11179, UDDI and ebXML
>> Registry) if anyone wants to
>> read up on the topic.
>>
>> Duane
>>

>> On 12/4/06 8:09 AM, "Chiusano, Joseph"
>> <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> wrote:
>>
>>> More thoughts:
>>>
>>> So the registry would store metadata that
>> describes service artifacts,
>>> which are stored in a repository. Service
>> artifacts can also be
>>> considered types of IT artifacts.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> Joseph Chiusano
> [...]

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.           *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee    *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                    *
Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*