Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Registries and Repositories

Luckily in our midst we have an expert in this area (kathryn).  Not only
does she chair the Registry TC at OASIS, but she is also in charge of a
large registry at Boeing called Central.

On 12/5/06 8:54 PM, "Francis McCabe" <frankmccabe@mac.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> one place.
>>
>> As for repositories, sometimes the concept of an associated
>> registry and repository makes sense and sometime it doesn't.  For
>> example, I can see a policy registry and an associated repository
>> holding the actual normative (and maybe executable) description.
>> When the policy artifact is entered into the repository, the
>> registry entry is created.  If policy consumers "register" interest
>> in a policy (i.e. in a pub/sub sense), they can be notified if the
>> policy changes.
>>
>> For a service, it is less clear what would be stored in a
>> repository.  Yes, we could use the repository to hold a
>> configuration managed copy, but there is no way to ensure that that
>> is at the target when you interact through the supplied service
>> interface.  Then there is the matter of the underlying capability
>> and how its CM affects (or is reflected in) the CM of the service
>> that accesses it.  More likely, the service description has a CM
>> component (or elements that together enable a CM function) that
>> identifies (points to?) executable resources and the service CM in
>> some way references that resource's CM artifacts.  Now we can
>> ensure some level of connectivity between the artifact and its
>> function, something other than just careful bookkeeping of well-
>> meaning and overworked librarians.
>>
>> I think I could even come up with how federation would work in this
>> scenario, something I have yet to see done convincingly for UDDI.
>>
>> I'd be interested to see how this lines up (or completely runs
>> afoul) of the more in-depth rep/reg work done by others.  But be
>> quick about this -- I'm adding some registry slides to my MITRE SOA
>> course.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> On Dec 4, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:
>>
>>> Service Registries act as pointers to metadata that describe the
>>> service.
>>> They fulfill many aspects of the SOA metamodel including the
>>> visibility (by
>>> making the service endpoints findable to the consumer), pointing at
>>> artifacts that contain the metadata for things like the service
>>> policy, the
>>> service description and other things.  Holding the code that makes
>>> the
>>> service run is not something one would normally employ a registry/
>>> repository
>>> for.
>>>
>>> The repository is not as simple as it at first seems.  Many people
>>> have a
>>> perception that a repository is one "thing" when in fact, the
>>> artifacts
>>> might be de-centralized.  For example, the registry might hold a
>>> static copy
>>> of a WSDL in resident memory via an internal repository, but it
>>> might point
>>> at an extrinsic artifact for the service policy which resides on a
>>> system.  While this is nice in terms of a dynamic system that can

Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*