Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Message and Action Distinction

Here is an example of what I think of as the relationship between
messages and actions:

In an auction (a real one where people are sitting on chairs
listening to the auctioneer and making bids by scratching their
noses) people do not physically come over to the auctioneer and write
on his note pad when they want to make a bid: they communicate.

 From the point of view of a mind running in someone's brain, there
is not that much distinction between moving the muscles of the larynx
or moving the muscles of the leg: they are both physical actions. The
choice between them depends on a judgement of effectiveness -- in the
right context (the execution context?) by moving the larynx in the
appropriate way, the actions involved can achieve the goal of making
a bid.

So it is with acting on a service, in the context of the Internet,
the appropriate activity needed to achieve the action on the service
is the sending of the message. In that sense, the message (or, more
accurately, the activity of sending and receiving the message) counts
as performing the requisite action on the service.

Of course, with a service interaction, just as with a bid in the Art
auction, the right message must be exchanged. Almost certainly, one
which has separable parts like the operation code, any document
arguments and so on.