Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] definition of SLA

There is probably a question here of the difference between a consumers SLA with a service and a producers SLA with its environment.  Taking our outsourcing business as an example there tends to be a difference between the SLA that applies to end-users (consumers) and the one that we give to the client around the hosting and support.  The hosting and support element includes specific details around number of calls, what type of calls, DR policy, backup policy etc etc which I guess could be called the service owners SLA, or you could consider the infrastructure et al as being a service in its own right and the DR et al being its SLA for providing hosting services to the business service.  The consumer SLA will have availability, response times and not much else.

The amount of content in an SLA is massively dependent on the business value and the business impact of a service.  So taking something like a production line management service that directly impacts the company financially when it fails then the SLA will be pretty complete, something around monthly HR reporting will have a best endeavours style of SLA.

Steve

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: 24 January 2007 05:19
To: Danny Thornton
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Danny,

Thanks for the pointer.  I was out of the office today and didn't have a chance to look at this beyond your summary below, but my first impression is that definition includes every possible aspect of a service, and that doesn't make sense.  Do you really expect the SLA of every service (or even a significant number) to go into the details of disaster recovery?  I may want some assurance a critical service will be there during times of extreme duress, but I probably do not care (and would not appreciate) the details of how the provider will do it.

But let me read this and the other responses to my SLA definition question and let me see if I migrate to a more enlightened view.

Ken