Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] The Hartford presentation at SOA Governance TEM

I've always been very impressed with the Hartford as they seem to be one of those orgs that really "get" SOA from the perspective that it is about the business and not technology. They also have one of the better governance programs in place.

I think the one of the keys to the success of both is what Ben mentioned during this presentation at the TEM but is not called out in the slide deck. About 2-3 years ago, they got the Senior Management and their Enterprise Architects sequestered for ~ 4 months (solely dedicated to this task!) to work out a Business and Technology Roadmap for the Hartford. They have been executing from that roadmap ever since then. That type of Business/Technology alignment is so very rare, and IMO, lies at the heart of why they seem to be seeing benefits from their SOA implementation.

Ben and the Hartford are on my list of folks to interview for input (Provided they agree to the OASIS IPR requirements :-)) into the governance section of the RA.

Regards,

- Anil

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Fri 1/26/2007 2:06 PM
To: ese-enterprise-services-list ESE Enterprise Services; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

I thought this was an excellent presentation, showing both more insight and activity than usually seen.  In particular, consider their SOA maturity model on slide 9.  Their attempts to progress are described in the slides that follow, and their current self assessment is on slide 16.  They believe they are pretty much working at Level 3 and know of no one at Levels 4 or 5.

One other point I mentioned in the Pragmatic SOA thread: on slide 11 where they have Enterprise Service Bus in italics, it is not because they bought an ESB but that they realized the sum of the existing infrastructure they were using comprised what many vendors were selling as an ESB.

Thoughts?  Impressions?