Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] RE: updated service description

Title: RE: [soa-rm-ra] RE: updated service description

Danny,
I absolutely agree with you on  "The contract is a subset of Service Description".

To contribute to the discussion on the policies and contract, let me say that I see policies are referenced by the contract. In my previous message, I also mentioned a type of 'default contract' as a derivative of the Service Description.

- Michael

Fidelity Investments - Web Delivery
Phone: +44-173-783-6038
E-mail: michael.poulin@uk.fid-intl.com
Web: http://www.fidelity.co.uk/

Important: Fidelity Investments International, Fidelity Investment Services Limited, Fidelity Pensions Management and Financial Administration Services Limited (a Fidelity Group company) are all authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Services Authority and have their registered offices at Oakhill House, 130 Tonbridge Road, Hildenborough, Tonbridge, Kent TN11 9DZ. Tel 01732 361144. Fidelity only gives information on products and does not give investment advice to private clients based on individual circumstances. Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those of Fidelity. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. All e-mails sent from or to Fidelity may be subject to our monitoring procedures. Direct link to Fidelity's website - http://www.fidelity-international.com/world/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Thornton [mailto:danny_thornton2@yahoo.com]
Sent: 26 February 2007 01:41
To: Ken Laskey; michael.poulin@uk.fid-intl.com
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Ken,

I agree with your thoughts that policies and contracts
are referenced from the Service Description and can be
fully defined elsewhere.  Many people in the industry
tend to think of the Service Description as a
contract.  The reasoning behind this is because it can
be said the consumer has to abide by the Service
Description and therefore it is a contract.  At the
implementation level, people often equate a WSDL to a
contract.  I see this view of a SOA contract as a
half-truth.  As stated in one of Michael's previous
e-mails, WSDL does not capture the business meaning of
a service. The meaning of contract is rooted more in
the social structure than anything at the
implementation level.  In business a contract is a
legally binding agreement between two or more parties.
 It may or may not be personalized, it may be human
enforceable, it may be electronically enforceable.
For electronically enforceable policies and contracts,
the computing mechanisms that enforce a policy or a
contract can be the same.

One person's stated policy can be another person's
enforced contract.  Not abiding by stated policies can
have real world effects just like not abiding by a
contract.  Loss of a job for not following company
policy for example.  It is difficult for me to see a
clear distinction between a policy and a contract
other than what is stated in the OASIS SOA RM.  A
contract and a policy have a clear distinction at the
level of the social structure.  At the implementation
level, just tell me the rules that need to be
enforced, whether it is a policy or a contract doesn't
matter to me.

The Service Description encompasses more about the
social structure than the contracts so I do not put
contracts at the same level as Service Description.
The contract is a subset of Service Description if the
contract is part of the Service Description.
Discussions about contracts and policies and Service
Descriptions will tend to swirl around the following
three questions:  What is the distinction at the
business level between a policy and a contact?  What
is the distinction at the implementation level between
a policy and a contract?  Where do the various forms
of a contract fit in relation to the Service
Description?

Danny

--- Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I started to respond to this hours ago, then printed
> out your paper,
> and finally make it past numerous distractions
> (including a
> unexpected 3 inches of snow to shovel) to finally
> collect my thoughts.
>
> On your first point, I think of the service
> description as being the
> executive summary and table of contents.  It gives
> you the critical
> overview and tells you where to find more details.
> So while
> Interaction Policies & Contracts in the description
> may explicitly
> lay out such things, these are more likely to be
> fully defined
> elsewhere and referenced from the description.  Of
> course, one
> benefit of this is that the policy, for example,
> becomes reusable.
>
> As for the personal nature of policy agreements, if
> it is a one-time
> agreement,  I see it residing in the execution
> context (whose
> concrete manifestation is still to be discussed).
> If the agreement
> is intended to be reused, it should be catalogued
> somewhere.  The
> idea of a general purpose somewhere also needs to be
> tackled, perhaps
> (definitely?) as part of the RA.
>
> I then read your paper and if you went through the
> TC emails, you
> could find discussions touching on but never
> resolving many of these
> issues.  So here are some general questions and some
> specifics ones
> relating to your paper.
>
> - What is a service component?  If we have a
> composite service, i.e.
> one that shows a single interface but is actually a
> combination of
> other services, do you consider the constituent
> services to be
> service components?  In the RM, we distinguish
> between the capability
> and the service that provides access to the
> capability.  Is an
> implementation of the capability also a service
> component?
> Personally, I think I'd say yes to both where
> changes to either can
> affect the client experience.
>
> - Are "service functions" the same as RM actions?
>
> - One of my favorites: what belongs in a SLA?  Some
> views have it so
> complete that it basically becomes the service
> description, i.e. it
> describes functionality, constraints, interface
> details, and the
> birthdays of anyone who ever used it.  Personally, I
> take a more
> minimalist approach and think of SLA as being
> strictly a set of well
> defined metrics against which compliance can be
> measured.  I agree
> with with your line that "a SOA service ... is
> [...]

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time