Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Policy Discussion

Duane,

I'm troubled.  Given

Layered Policy Architecture – an approach to place policies within
multiple layers of an architecture.  For example, a policy may be
placed on the access point (service interface) from which a resource
may be retrieved, yet the resource itself may be also protected with
a policy which must be adhered to in order to interact with the
policy.

How do I describe something for use when it may have hidden policies embedded anywhere in its structure?  Can I ever describe a service or must I describe every operation/action/endpoint (o/a/e)?  Does this say every o/a/e should be its own service?  Does it say the service description has to be structured in such a way that it describes details of its every o/a/e?  Does a service description basically become the structure that holds all the o/a/e descriptions?  What does this say about discovery?  Is there any value in discovering a service or do I discover o/a/e?  Does this get me back to every o/a/e is a service?

Still reading so maybe you provide some insight later in the paper, but let me get out these questions and let everyone chew on them.

Ken