Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - SOA Governance (07-04-00018.000.doc) uploaded

Hi:

Good questions--my feeling is that you need some governance in each of the areas.  The ones in section 1 are ones I that I would want in place prior to roll out of any mission/business critical system implementing the SOA architecture.  How deep/heavy it is depends on the organizational context.  For example, Gartner Group recommends a SOA Competency Center as the core of the governance.  NGC has found that without support from the top of the organization, any attempt to change the infrastructure will be less than optimal--therefore, my first recommendation of organization governance (Section 2.1). If you don't have some control over which versions of which protocol standards to use, there is a major risk that the organization will end up with SOA silos (Section 2.2), and so on.  That the reason for indicating these are needed upfront.  Again, I'm not indicating the level of detail in each policy, just that something (perhaps a place-holder) has been created.  These can be updated as the SOA matures.  I suspect that the Hartford had these outlined (even informally) before they started production.

As to your second question, my thought was that your sixth was embodied in the first five, but perhaps my communications was not as clear as it should be.  If it really isn't, then it should be added--thanks

Thanks for the comments

Bob

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:21 AM
To: Ellinger, Robert
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Bob,

I read through your governance paper and had a few particular thoughts and questions:

- Your recommended process is very heavy and requires a lot in place before you start seeing service results.  The Hartford used an evolutionary approach with a fairly light touch initially and then added selectively.  If I take what you describe as an end state, what would an evolutionary path look like to get there?

- You note five implementation tactics and I wonder if a sixth one isn't to identify what a service solution would look like, see what pieces of the current solution can be borrowed, and then build a minimize number of pieces so that you have a parallel SOA version of the current system (or a well defined part of it).  You should be able to demonstrate how the new structure will be better going forward while minimizing cost because you've used what is already there.  You also minimize risk because you make the new SOA available while not initially mandating a schedule for shutting down the old stuff.

Just some thoughts.

Ken