Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - Modification of Policy_Contract_Business diagram (OASIS_Policy-Contract_Diagram.JPG) uploaded

I'm not sure if I will help or hinder here, but from an outsourcing
perspective I'd classify the three (policy, SLA and contract) as being
different for a service.

The policy is what we say must happen
The SLA is the bounds within which it must happen
The contract is what policies and SLAs apply and what happens when they are
broken.

So as an example,  the policy is that we must authenticate the user against
the corporate directory.  The SLA is that this must be done within a 1/10th
second and the contract says that the policy applies and that SLA violation
is an "amber" issue and should be flagged.

As another example, there is a "WidgetPurchase" service which has policies
that say that messages must be reliably sent over a secure communication
mechanism.  One SLA says that WidgetPurchase must be available "five nines"
another says "when it feels like it".  The contract is the thing that says
that for a given consumer of the service that the reliable messaging policy
doesn't apply, security does, and their SLA is "when it feels like it", this
is the "pleb" contract.  The "consul" contract is the one that has
reliability and security as policies and five nines as the SLA.

So from a business perspective they are often treated as different entities.

Steve

PS If I'm not helping just tell me to go away again :)