Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] random and nonrandom thoughts on governance

Hi Ken
  There is a lot I agree with here. I do have a few differences
though ... (life would be *so* boring :)

  1. I agree completely that participants can be organizations. And
that the cardinalities are *..*.
  2. I have a bit of heartache with the way that you characterize
goals of participants and organizations. I do not think that they
should be conflated:

  a. An organization may have goals; and governance may be in
furtherance of those goals. (A link that is not to be assumed, but to
be strived for I believe.)
  b. A participant's goals are (IMO) distinct from any organization's
goals. In particular, I do not believe that governance attempts to
satisfy participants' goals except in so far as they satisfy the
organization's goals.
  c. One of the questions that a potential participant (or potential
non-participant) must answer is whether the organization's goals are
sufficiently aligned with the participants goals to permit the
membership. We all know that this is normally not a 100% fit; but is
some kind of balance/juggling act.

  3. I used the term organ as a kind of abstraction of representative
body. For me, organs of control are the people/bodies that have
authority of some kind.

   Different governance frameworks will lead to different
arrangements of organs (some on the left, some on the right :-) And
yes, in a large well managed framework, there are likely to be many
layers of organs.

  4. A defining characteristic of an organ of control is its remit
(an English-english word meaning sphere of control/understanding/
influence/authority). The difference between a democratic congress
and a dictator is one of degree not kind.

  The remit identifies the kinds of policies and rules that the organ
may promulgate and expect to have enforced. I think that bob's
functions are another way of expressing the concept of remit; but am
hesitant to claim this.

  5. I do not see the relationship between organization and
participant as strictly membership. Organizations are also about the
relationship between the participants. Again, there is normally a
limit/definition/constraint on the kind of relationships captured by
an organization.

  This allows both of us to be both members of the local gym and a
company and have separate relationships in the different contexts.

Frank