Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] governance musings over the weekend

Here a couple of other questions coming from the looking at the diagram:
1) what I special in this governance model for the service orientation     or    why is it good especially for SOA?
2) what "Policies, Rules, and Regulations" are meant here - any ones, run-time and/or development ones?
3) should the governance model in SOA RA promote the best practices in SOA governance (if YES, what are they and how are they reflected in here)?
I know, asking questions is much easier than answering them, nevertheless...

- Michael

Important: Fidelity Investments International (Reg. No.1448245), Fidelity Investment Services Limited (Reg. No. 2016555), Fidelity Pensions Management (Reg. No. 2015142) and Financial Administration Services Limited (Reg. No. 1629709, a Fidelity Group company) are all registered in England and Wales, are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Services Authority and have their registered offices at Oakhill House, 130 Tonbridge Road, Hildenborough, Tonbridge, Kent TN11 9DZ. Tel 01732 361144. Fidelity only gives information on products and does not give investment advice to private clients based on individual circumstances. Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those of Fidelity. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. All e-mails sent from or to Fidelity may be subject to our monitoring procedures. Direct link to Fidelity’s website - http://www.fidelity-international.com/world/index.html

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: 10 September 2007 14:49
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm-ra] governance musings over the weekend

Another tweak to the governance model, this time adding a class for Metrics Collection and new relationships.

Given a model of Governance, the next question on my mind is how does it affect architecture. Some thoughts along those lines:

Architecture implications
- need mechanisms to create and catalog Policies, Rules, and Regulation
- need reliable access to specifics of current Governance Framework and Governance Processes
- need mechanisms to collect metrics
- need mechanisms for Participants to access metrics
- need enforcement mechanisms for Management Body

Assumptions
- You cannot govern what you cannot measure
- You cannot govern what does not agree to be governed
- expectations on what can and will be governed must match the reality of what is possible and what is the collective will to see done

- need to manage (including configuration management and CRUD processes)Governance Framework and Governance Processes,Policies, Rules, and Regulations but not Goals

- I don't care where the Goals originated beyond saying they come from Participants
- I don't care if they are "good" Goals or "bad" Goals because it is up to Governance to come up with the set that serves those who want to remain Participants, and the SOA machinery should be agnostic to the quality of the Goals or the make-up of the Participants
- There may be many parallel or interacting Governance environment with which a given Participant must interact.

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305 phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive fax: 703-983-1379