Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] governance musings over the weekend

Ken, et al...

  I still question the links between goals and governance. Certainly,
I do not buy that governance is there to satisfy the goals of the
participants. If that were true, no-one would go to gaol.

  A simple governance scenario: someone's day in court. Two
participants want to 'win' their case; and perhaps they both feel
entitled. One party is likely to lose, their goals will not be met.

  So, in what sense, are the participant's goals being satisfied by
the process?

  I would argue that there are (at least) two levels of goals
involved: there are the goals of each participant in arguing and
winning their case (and getting the appropriate sanction applied to
their opponent).

  There is another goal of wanting to live in an ordered society;
which both parties also subscribe to (otherwise there would be a
battle in the streets instead of in the courtroom).

  From the perspective of the judge, however, there is only the
latter goal. In fact, this goal is so important (to the judge) that
it will be satisfied *irrespective* of the wishes of the plaintiff
and defendant -- which is why the defendant sometimes shows up in
chains.

  I think that the minimum I would do to modify the diagram is to
remove the link between participants and their goals. They do, of
course, have goals; but IMO, those goals have nothing to do with
governance.

  Second, I believe that the rules/policies etc. promulgated by
management bodies have characteristics (or perhaps should have?).
There are definite limits on the kinds of policies that can be
enforced when we are in the Internet case of SOA.

  I believe that this means that the subject matter of policies is
constrained by the organization being governed. Personally, I think
that this subject matter is primarily the authority relationships
amongst the participants within the organization (who can do what to
whom).

Enough for now

Frank