Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Definition of Governance

Actually, I believe that the US Constitution creation process and
personnel unique in history; a complete discontinuity with all previous
governance processes, despite historians attempts to trace back further
to the Magana Charta, the Greeks, etc.  Yes, the concepts were derived
from various sources, but the fact was that the constitutional
convention was much like a standards technical committee whose goal was
governance of a country.  That they did an outstanding job is reflected
by the number of times others have more or less copied it.  Part of the
job included the Declaration of Independence and part was the Bill of
Rights, but yes they were an extraordinary team.

Having said, I think it makes sense to look at their deliverable for a
functional pattern (an architecture, if you will) for governance.

Bob

PS--I am a highly professional cynic and PITA, just ask my management.

From: Francis McCabe [mailto:frankmccabe@mac.com]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 7:31 PM
To: Ken Laskey
Cc: Ellinger, Robert; soa-rm-ra

I do not believe that we need to cater to 'evil' people.

However, nor do we need to restrict ourselves to 'do-gooders' either.

I suggest, however, that we do restrict the scope of governance to the
'smooth running' of the system. That, was one reason that I felt that
individual participants' goals are out of scope for governance.