Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] FW: [ws-rx] W3C WS-Policy 1.5 Primer and Guidelines Last Call review by OASIS WS-RX TC

The following are links to the Web Services Policy
Primer and the SOA Reference  Architecture.  This
e-mail discusses a comparison of the two.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-ws-policy-primer-20070928/

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm-ra/download.php/25043/07-08
-00003.000.pdf

Sections 2.1 - 2.8 of the Web Services Policy Primer
are abstracted in section  4.5 of the RA.  Assertions
as defined by the RA are more abstract than
assertions defined by WS Policy.  The two levels of
abstraction are appropriate  for each context.  The
primer defines a policy expression as a grouped set of
 policy assertions. Figure 30, page 55, line 1669 does
account for the policy  expression concept, however,
it is not explicitly defined in the RA.

Section 2.9, Nested Policy Expression, of the primer
is related to section 4.5.3, Policy Contraint Types,
of the RA.

Section 2.10, Referenceing Policy Expressions, of the
primer can be addressed  in section 4.5.1 of the RA
with the addition that policies and contracts may be
referenced with the purpose of using a single policy
multiple times.  This also  relates to Section
4.5.4.1, Policy Composition, in the RA.  4.5.4.1 of
the RA  can be expanded to include the combining of
policy sets.  The discussion of  combining policy sets
can be abstracted from the Service Component
Architecture specifications.

Section 2.11, Attaching Policy Expression to WSDL, of
the primer is a binding  discussion that is or can be
handled in the Service Description section of the RA.

Section 2.12, Policy Automates Web Services
Interaction, is discussed in  section 4.5.

Section 3.1, Policy Expression, of the primer provides
a definition for grouping assertions in one of many
ways that policy standard efforts could describe
grouping assertions. For example, XACML uses the term
expression in a general sense much like the RA. This
relates to section 4.5.3, Policy Constraint Types, in
the RA.  I do not think we should define Policy
Expression in  the RA the way it is defined in WS
Policy, others can weigh in.

Section 3.2, Normal Form for Policy Expressions, in
the primer is at a more  detailed level than the RA.

Section 3.3, Policy Data Model, of the primer is
related to sections 4.5,  4.5.1, & 4.5.4.1 of the RA.
Section 3.3 is at a more detailed level than the  RA.
This also relates to expanding on the discussion of
policy sets in the RA to account  for policy set usage
in the Service Component Architecture.

Section 3.4, Compatible Policies, in the primer is
discussed in section 4.5.4.2, Conflict Resolution, of
the RA.  I do like the title Compatible Policies and
the discussion of policy interesection.  Abstractions
of section 3.4, inclucing the title, could be
incorporated into section 4.5.4.2 of the RA.

Section 3.5, Attaching Policy Expressions to WSDL,
Figure 3-3 might be worth reviewing to see if there is
something we want to add to the RA, either for the
Service Description Section or the Policy and Contract
section.  Much of this section is too detailed for the
RA.  I question whether we want to define subjects in
the RA, however, if we do we should abstract a meaning
from the way it is defined in both XACML and
WS-Policy.

Section 3.6, Policy Retrieval, of the primer really
does not have a mapping in the RA.  The way Policy
Retrieval is discussed in the primer may be too
detailed for the RA.  The RA does discuss policy
administration and distribution mechanisms in section
4.5.5, IT Mechanisms Supporting Policies and
Contracts.

Section 3.7, Combine Policies, of the primer relates
to section 4.5.4.1, Policy Composition, of the RA.

Section 3.8.1, Policy Language, of the primer is
discussed in section 4.5.4, Policy and Contract
Specification, of the RA.

Section 3.8.2, Policy Expressions, of the primer
discusses versioning of policy expressions.  This is a
discussion that is general to any description in a
SOA.

Section 3.8.3, Use of Ignorable attribute and an
alternative Versioning Scenario, is too detailed for
the RA.

Section 3.8.4, Use of Ignorable and Optional
Attributes, is too detailed for the RA.

Section 3.9, Parts of a Policy Assertion, is specific
to WS Policy.

Section 4, Versioning Policy Language, as described in
the section is specific to WS Policy.  The topic of
versioning is common to all forms of descriptions.

Danny

http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/07/adobe-max-2007.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-ws-policy-guidelines-20070928/

> Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada