Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Updated Visual Model for Service Description

I am thinking in terms of federation at the
granularity of general description only, no finer than
that for the moment.

The following statements are from the implementaton
side of things. As part of the general description, a
user can select federations they want the description
to belong to.  The selection of federations are
controlled through certificate associations.  Everyone
who wants to add a description to the ebXML/UDDI
registry either has or is issued a certificate.  I
have not worked through the implementation details yet
but it is something along those lines.

I think the Service Description needs to identify
meta-data that allows it to be governed in social
structures as described in Section 3.4.6, Governance
and Social Structures.  What I am suggesting is that
federations is a description meta-data element that is
a tie to section 3.4.6.

Danny

--- Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org> wrote:

> Danny,
>
> I'll need to read the link on annotations.
>
> As for federations, we have the same situations as
> with a lot of the
> action discussion in that the details of how it's
> done don't belong
> in description, only the description or a link to
> information of the
> result.
>
> I'm not sure detailing federations really belongs in
> the RA because
> it seems a business-specific process and
> requirements.  Now some of
> the description would likely indicate whether some
> resource was
> appropriate for some federation and the result of
> federation
> membership might be included in description.
>
> Do you have something more specific in mind for
> federations?
>
> Ken
>
> On Nov 4, 2007, at 8:58 PM, Danny Thornton wrote:
>
> > The first steps into the use of Descriptions in a
> > SOA-based ecosystem give rise to the problem of
> how
> > groups (federations) are formed.  I would like to
> see
> > a direct representation of the ability to
> participate
> > in groups in the description.  To my knowledge,
> the
> > most common terminlogy for this in the industry
> right
> > now is federations.
> >
> > I would also like to hear other opinions on the
> > subject.
> >
> > There is also an alternate approach to annotations
> > that follows an extension objects pattern:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:YwbrrSremIIJ:www.ccs.neu.edu/

research/demeter/adaptive-patterns/visitor-usage/papers/plop96/

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm-ra/download.php/

> >> model.
> ultimately

> >> 703-983-7934