Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Updated Visual Model for Service Description

Danny,

Where are you going with this federation business???

Are you proposing something along the lines of the Federated Enterprise
Reference Architecture (FERA) model?

http://xml.coverpages.org/SemantionSOA-Runtime200509.pdf

(See Section 3.0)

There was a big play in the ebXML world on this (see, e.g.,
http://www.ebxmlsoft.com/papers/ebxml-fera.pdf) and I saw it go nowhere when
I attended the OASIS Symposium up in San Francisco a few years ago.  There
were briefings from the ebSOA TC folks and, again, it has gone absolutely
nowhere.  In fact, I have not seen it referenced anywhere outside this
community or even the analyst community.

I'm really worried that once again, we're getting distracted and we NEED TO
FINISH THE RA!!!!!!  Our work has gone one far too long in my opinion.  We
need to stay focused as a razor.

If you're looking to build out a tool for your registry/repository, then you
should leverage the various service metadata information models (IMs) out
there.  The IM described in JSR 93 (JAXR) is one of the best I've seen.  And
it supports both UDDI and ebXML standards.  I've attached a copy of the
original spec.  Check out Section 4 and in particular, Fig. 11, which
provides a UML class diagram depicting the IM.

Cheers...

 - Jeff E.

jaxr-1_0-fr-spec.pdf