Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Updated Visual Model for Service Description

But I still don't know what it means to federate a single service!

On Nov 5, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Rex Brooks wrote:

At 7:35 PM -0500 11/5/07, Ken Laskey wrote:
So what would it mean to federate a single service.  Isn't that just being authorized and then using the service?

Now federating registries is usually federating queries across registries, and there are tons of things involved that I would say are outside the scope of the RA.  If you haven't seen the Discovery Service Reference Architecture from the IC SOA (and now joint with DoD) work, it has some real interesting aspects and some others that gloss over fundamental questions.  But that is for other discussions.

I will be interesting to see what happens. I think we'll be federating registries as well as services, so both types will need to be handled. Federating services seems the more straightforward unless the federated registries operate as a VPN. Also for other discussions.