Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Updated Visual Model for Service Description

I have two comments here.

1.Certainly, XACML can help to "handle cross ownership boundary issues"
via access control rules but there has to be a query mechanism capable
of requesting access to particular federated registry. XACML cannot do
this. We have to have a cross-registry mechanism for this.

2. Regarding "In a SOA-ecosystem federation can be handled at the
registry level" - agree; "... description level, or even at the
description element level" - disagree unless we are saying that one
Service Description may refer to another description of the same service
in the same or federated/another registry. I think it is too complex
from governance, management and administrative perspectives.

From: Danny Thornton [mailto:danny_thornton2@yahoo.com]
Sent: 06 November 2007 15:05
To: Ken Laskey; Poulin, Michael
Cc: Rex Brooks; Danny Thornton; Jeffrey A. Estefan;
soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

As Ken has pointed out, the ability to define
interactions across multiple ownership boundaries
quickly becomes a complex problem.  For Sun's Service
Registry, I will probably handle cross ownership
boundary issues through access control policies
defined in XACML.  This is what is already supported
by the registry.

To state the implementation details in a way that
relates to the RA - In a SOA-ecosystem federation can
be handled at the registry level, description level,
or even at the description element level.  The process
of federating descriptions may be separate from the
creation of the description itself, a security
administration activity for example.

Danny

http://docs.oasis-open.org/regrep/v3.0/specs/regrep-rim-3.0-os.pdf

http://xml.coverpages.org/SemantionSOA-Runtime200509.pdf