Subject: Orchestration v. Choreography Discussion

Title: Orchestration v. Choreography Discussion
Hi Folks,

Before I needed to drop off, I heard what I could agree to as a working distinction between Choreography and Orchestration. Choreography is what takes place in Business Process Modeling of interactions (to some extent DesignTime work), and Orchestration is what takes place when actual Actions are triggered by some central conductor to produce Real World Effects (to some extent RunTime work). The distinction between RunTime and DesignTime does not hold since both can occur in realtime interactions that produce Real World Effects.  This was just another analogy.

I liked Frank's notion that in practice Choreography is composed of a number of Orchestrations taking place together. I would say taking place according to some agreed set of rules or parameters.

I looked on the web for better analogies than symphony composer or ballet choreographer doing Choreography and an orchestra conductor or ballet director doing Orchestration, and found:

"Orchestration is akin to traffic lights where events are controlled centrally, whereas Choreography is more like a roundabout, where each participant is following a prearranged set of rules."

http://blog.whatfettle.com/?p=247

Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design