Subject: OO vs. SOA and what goes into a service

Is it fair (or at least not too distorted) to say that with OO we define an object and look for what we can do to it (i.e. its methods) while with SOA we identify what we want to do (i.e. business functions) and then, if appropriate, look for objects to do it to?

This gets back to the discussion last October on what actions get bundled together in a service.  From an OO perspective, I choose an object and then attach CRUD methods.  In SOA, would the CRUD methods individually be things I want to do, each with a describable real world effect (and possibly policies on who can do it and under what conditions), and I define services to carry out those functions?

Are both perspectives/design approaches equally valid?  What are the implications for description and discovery?

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508

smime.p7s