Subject: service interaction [was: [soa-rm-ra] Follow-up to 7-5-08 Telecom]

So let me push this a little further now.

When I was working service description, I emphasized that description needed to be at the service level rather than the action level because otherwise it was difficult if not impossible to describe the policies, functions, and effects of a service.  Let me follow this logic and say the service interaction is that set of message exchanges under prescribed conditions that result in certain real world effects.  The conditions and effects are captured in the execution context.  The service interaction is then also defined at the service level and tightly bound to the execution context.  As such, I think the scope Michael required (i.e. beyond just the message channel) is covered.

Now to also respond to Frank's later response.  I don't think saying

both actions and events are *initiated* through messages

really causes any problems and is probably more accurate per Frank's observation that the message to initiate the action will not result in the effect if the message doesn't get to the point of action.  Yes, sending the message that tries to initiate an action or indicate an event is the critical piece for nonrepudiation, but it does not touch the conditions of action unless that corresponds to an execution context.

Ken

+++ previous email +++

I think we handled the execution context okay.  The question now is whether (or when) a separate interaction occurs with each action or one interaction covers all actions within a process.

I'm currently wrestling with my wife's medical insurance and related open enrollment (non-US citizens living in countries with civilized medical systems, please stop laughing) and don't currently have the patience to offer an opinion.

Ken