Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Re: service interaction [was: [soa-rm-ra] Follow-up to 7-5-08 Telecom]

Jeff,

As you said,  we define "operations" as the sequence of actions a service must perform in order to validly participate in a joint action This means that a service or service operations should be in the Figure 40 or its replacement.

I believe presence of the  of actions a service must perform in the diagram ( and associated text) is VERY important for understanding of the SOA from the consumer perspectives, i.e. the client's logical view of the world. In Web Services the logical view of the world was boarded by the interfaces and concentrated on the message exchange. In SOA, (at least, in SOA RM and RA), we clearly saying that there are Service Contracts and the service execution policies; that the real world effect is only denoted by the consumer message (consumer action) but realized by the service operations" as the sequence of actions a service must perform in order to validly participate in a joint action.

To me, this is one of the most important differences between Web Services and SOA. The recognition of the service actions opens a large perspective for SOA evolution and extension into the business world ( out from IT)

Also, I have a few comments sent to the official comments mail-box with respect to this matter.

I have uploaded two diagrams with this regard, they might be useful for you.

-	Michael