Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Disambiguating Action (Part I)

some responses below.  Hope these provide more clarity than confusion.

Ken

On May 25, 2008, at 1:50 PM, michael.poulin@uk.fid-intl.com wrote:

Jeff and Ken,

playing a role of an outsider, I can say that my confusion comes from the multiple adjectives of Action in RA.

If I follow Kens interpretation, stating that the Action is somewhat the same as the WSDL operation, then Action against service is somewhat the same as calling WSDL operation, right?

For Web Services, the aforementioned statement is enough to say about interaction between Participant-consumer and the service. However, for a SOA service it is far from enough. Here is the reason: Action against service and service Action relate to each other as 1:N, where N=0..M (many). That is, an Action against service may result in no service actions, or in one, or in more than one Actions.

The consumer sends a message to invoke an Action for the purpose of realizing RWE.  If the message is malformed, the Action SHOULD respond with a fault.  If the message is appropriately processed, the consumer can expect the identified RWE or faults describing why the RWE were not realized.

If you agree with this, then Capability is associated rather with the service Action than with the Action against service.

The consumer sends an appropriate message to invoke the service Action.  The service, and this Action in particular, SHOULD result in to RWE being realized as the result of the Capability which the service accesses.

Service Capability exists w/o Action against service and w/o Intent.

The underlying capability exists independent of the service.  The functionality of the service depends on what functionality of the capability (or some combination of capabilities) that the service accesses.  I do not use the term service capability.

The Capability is described in the Service Description and cascaded into Service Contract (mostly for the business services).

No, the service is described in the service description, but a cascading from the capability description may be an effective way of assembling the service description.  I do not use service contract to in any way mean service description because I find such references unclear and misleading.

BTW, can a Capability exist w/o a service?

Per the RM, most definitely.

What hosts Capability in SOA eco-system if it is not a service?

Service is the access to the capability.  We do not restrict the implementation, such as the details of hosting, of the capability.

Service has Functions (not necessary WSDL operations) which collectively constitute Capability, i.e. Functions realize Capability.

No.  The functionality of a service relates to the business services it supports.  The capability (or some combination of capabilities) enables the realization of the desired RWE, and the service provides the access to this capability.  As stated above, the capability exists independent of SOA, but we believe SOA enables a more powerful means of access.

Each Function may or may not associate with service Actions and Events (or be implemented by).

It may be a combinations of Actions, where the combination is specified by the Process Model, that results in the service functionality and the set of RWE.

Collective execution of service Actions and Events produce real world effect (RWE).

You might say execution of Actions produce RWE, but Events are merely the reporting of RWE to interested parties.

The RWE cannot exist w/o Capability

true

and A set of Actions-Events

No, it may be possible to invoke the capability through means other than SOA services.

; Action against service and Intent are needed to generate RWE.

If SOA service is used to access the capability, then Action is required.  Intent is not required but assumed.

Plus, we may have different RWE produced by the same service in different execution context (EC).

This is possible if, for example, the applicable policies are different.  For example, if one EC requires privacy of my personal information and another EC does not have this restriction, then the second EC may result in my personal information being sold to a third party.

This is based on suggestion that while service Capability and Functions stay the same in different EC, the service Actions and Events may differ.

With the exception of the term service capability, this is basically accurate.

Here is an example with a Cleaning shop. The cloth cleaning is the Capability.

Well, cleaning certain items is the capability and use of the cleaning cloth is an implementation detail.

Cleaning may be done as wet or dry, it may be for white only or for colorful cloth  these are the Functions (Functionality).

The functionality is more likely that I can effectively clean certain items.  Again, the details of how I do it are likely private.

Cleaning process, ironing and wrapping are Actions.

They may or may not be separate actions.  If they are separate things I can request, they may be implemented as separate actions.  If they are separate steps in a total process, they may be separate actions and the process model may specify how these are combined, but the separate actions may not be typically invokes separately by a consumer.

In one country, when you order a cleaning, you assume that the cloth would be ironed also. In another country, ironing has to be explicitly requested. Thus, the same Action against service results in different service Actions depending on the EC (country).

Likely variations in the process model and which variation may depend on country.

- Michael