Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Policy Types

I have ben thinking about Don's policies.

To me, they are not policies in the same sense that we have talked
about. More like business logic.

However, having said that, there may be as a good reason to articulate
business logic as there is policy. I would note that many people
consider technologies like BPEL to be exactly that: ways of encoding
business logic in a language that is closer to the decision makers.
(Personally, I do not think that BPEL is all that good for that; but
hey its in XML so it must be good)

The kinds of constraint that show up in business logic are not nec.
the same as show up in security or admin policies. In order for us to
architect a 'customer discount policy' for example, or a 'shipping
policy', requires a transparency to capability that we have not
considered before.

I.e., if we wanted to describe and enforce that kind of business
logic, then architecturally, the issue of which shipping policy one
might use would have to be brought out of the service capability in
such a way that we could establish the link.

To do that, we would need to have a stronger idea of what processing
takes place.

I.e., in the mantra of knowing who is doing what to whom; we would
need to be able to decide what in as much detail as whom.

Frank
P.S. apologies if this seems too meandering.