Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Policy Types

I agree with Frank that what I am describing is more along the lines of
business logic.  The point is that business has many written or implied
policies that are used and are critical to the running of their
businesses.  Thus, in many situations policy drives the business logic.
What I’m talking about is an architecture for automating those policies
and rules and their use in a service.

The way I see the architecture is:
- rules would use pertinent facts from the ecosystem
- the rule outputs would be combined into a policy
- the output of the policy would be an action.

This follows the present policy architecture.  The changes to the
section are mostly changes to make the wording in the write-up and
figures more general and less security specific.  For example change
grantAccess to useAction; change requestForPermission to
requestForAction; change the output of the policy to an action and so on.

For my simple example the input from the ecosystem to the rules would be
the load on the various warehouses.   The action output from the policy
would be an address or endpoint, which would be an input to, for
example, WS-Addressing.  Of course there would be additional inputs to
the rules to handle such things as the topology of the warehouses, the
various cost factors and time to customer.  But these are implementation
details.

The model would be applicable other business logic problems such as buy
verses make, work flow, etc.  We could extend the taxi example given in
this section to provide the driver with instructions to reroute the taxi
depending on changing weather conditions or other environmental facts
such as road detours.  (Yes, I’ll consider interfacing with humans – for
now :-))  I’m sure Michael can come up with better examples from
Fidelity and others from the government arena or whatever industry in
which they are working.

Don

--
Don Flinn