Subject: Telecon talking points - Action cont'd

Frank,

Some recommended talking points for today's telecon.

First, we should continue our discussion of action picking up in Sect 3.5 of the RA PRD1.  I think we got a good handle on the content of Sect 3.5.1 last week and the role of [separate] or [individual] action, although we just refer to the term "action."

I think for today's discussion, we can skip the Social Actions model described in Sect 3.5.2 and move right to Interaction as Joint Action in Sect 3.5.3 and its close cousin, Semantics of Communication Model in Sect 3.5.4.  (Incidentally, I recommend that you move the definition of Communicative Action from Sect 3.5.4 to the end of Sect 3.5.3, where you first introduced the concept.)

What I'd like to see us resolve today is where do messages and message exchange fit into the visual Semantics of Communication Model because, although these concepts are introduced early in the section, they are not formally defined nor modeled.  The text suggests that message are the "medium" of interaction between participants and messages are exchanged that "represent" actions and the reporting of events.  In the supporting visual model shown in Fig 13 (line 830), we see associations between Communicative Action and Action and Event with the label "conveys."  So again, we need to resolve where messages and message exchange fit into the model.  My gut tells me that Message Exchange is related to Communicative Action although it's not yet clear what type of association that is.  Is it a specialization (hierarchy) relationship?  Is it a simple association?  Don't know.  Hopefully, we can clear that up today.

Talk to you all soon!

 - Jeff