Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Communicative Action Diagram

Frank and RA Team,

Couldn't agree more with Ken's statements.  And we're running out of time in my opinion.  We cannot keep dragging this discussion on endlessly.  The PRD1 comment period has closed and we need time to resolve issues.  And, as Ken points out, he and I need to clean up and converge the description and interaction models, and soon!  Collectively, we need to turn our attention to management and get closer to our end state of wrapping this work up with a decent specification.

Personally, I do not like to notion of "Service Action" nor do I like (as I've expressed before) the notion of "Communicative Action" or other "types" of action, just as Ken noted.  We agreed a long time ago that for this RA, we were going to standardize on message exchange as the form of Interaction.  Can we just stick to Interaction?  Sure there are semantics associated with message exchange and that is what I was hoping you would be focusing on in the Service Ecosystem view.

What needs to come through loud and clear is what in the heck is Joint Action vs. Separate Action.  And no more!

Keeping with the definition that Joint Action is the application of intent by two or more participants in order to achieve a RWE, we see that this translates to a service consumer (or consumer agent) and a service provider (or provider agent, i.e., the service) interacting in concert with each other with the goal of achieving a RWE.*  Separate Action, on the other hand, depends on the participant's role.  In other words, for a service consumer (or consumer agent), the separate Action is sending a semantically and syntactically correct message to a service provider (or provider agent, i.e., service) with the expectation that the service will respond by processing that message and executing the necessary public and private separate Actions (or operations) that results in a RWE occurring.

*Yes, we need to address the dreaded "agents" issue.  If not in this view, certainly in the Realizing SOAs view.  That could be a point of discussion.  Do we want to keep the Service Ecosystem view at a very high level and only talk about service participants (consumers and providers) in the abstract and not get into the details of electronic communication (agents)?  Open question.  It's another issue we have yet to resolve.

Hope we can come to some resolution on today's call my friends!  Would prefer that each member ask for the floor and be given time without interruption instead of a "free for all," which I noticed after listening to the MP3 from last week's call.

 - Jeff