Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] anyone familiar with OMG work for UML modeling ofSOA?

Title: Re: [soa-rm-ra] anyone familiar with OMG work for UML modeling of SOA?
Read Annex B (sorry about formatting)

Annex B
Conformance to OASIS Services Reference Model

This submission attempts to leverage existing work by OASIS and W3C to ensure
conformance with existing reference models and Web Services platforms. Section 4,
Conformance Guidelines of the OASIS Services Reference Model outlines expectations
that a design for a service system using the SOA approach should meet:

Have entities that can be identified as services as defined by this Reference Model;
• Be able to identify how visibility is established between service providers and
consumers;

This submission defines a Service metaclass, a kind of UML Port, which
establishes the interaction point between service consumers and providers. A
Service’s type is a ServiceInterface which provides all the information needed by
a consumer to use a service. However, the SOA-Pro RFP specifies that
mechanisms for discovering existing services and descriptions consumers would
use to determine the applicability of availability of existing services for their
needs (awareness) are out of scope and are therefore not covered in this
submission.

• Be able to identify how interaction is mediated;

Interaction between a service consumer and provider connected through a service
channel is mediated by the protocol specified by the service provider. The
protocol is defined by the service interface used as the type of the service and may
include a behavior that specifies the dynamic aspects of service interaction. The
interfaces realized and used by a service specification define the operations,
parameters, preconditions, post conditions (real world effect), exceptions and
other policy constraints that make up the static portion of the service
specification.

• Be able to identify how the effect of using services is understood;

The effect of a service is specified by the post conditions of the provided service
operations assuming the consumer follows the policies, preconditions, and
protocols specified by the service interface.

• Have descriptions associated with services;

This submission includes a service interface for describing the means of
interacting with a service. Since service discovery and applicability are out of
scope for the SOA-Pro RFP, this submission does not include additional
99 UML Profile and Metamodel for Services (SOA-Pro)
description information a consumer might need to consider using a service.

• Be able to identify the execution context required to support interaction; and

The execution context is specified by the semantics for UML2 as extended by this
submission.

• It will be possible to identify how policies are handled and how contracts may be
modeled and enforced.

Policies are constraints that can be owned rules of any model element, including
in particular service ports and service participant components. The actual form of
these policies is out of scope for the SOA-Pro RFP and are not further developed
in this submission.

In addition, every attempt has been made to use metaclass names, property names, as
well as descriptions and semantics as consistent as possible with the OASIS Reference
Model. The following table provides a high level summary of the realtionship between
this submission and the Reference Model.

[TABLE]
OASIS Reference Model SOA-Pro Submission Notes
Service Service and Requisition
Port
Represents the interaction
point between consumers
and providers
Service Provider Participant and Agent Service consumer and
provider have been
combined in the
submission since most
components do both.
Service Consumer Participant and Agent
Service Participant Participant and Agent
Service Interface ServiceInterface used as the
type of a Service or
Requistion port
Specifies the realized and
used interfaces and
service protocol
Service Description ServiceInterface May be extended in the
future with additional
information needed by
service repositories and
query facilities.
Real World Effect Service operation post
conditions
Policy Policy
Policy Assertion Constraint
Policy Owner (or Subject) Owning element
Reachability Binding Captures allowed,
preferred, or actual
100 UML Profile and Metamodel for Services (SOA-Pro)
binding information
between consumers and
providers
Information Model MessageType, Attachment Captured in a class