Subject: Using communication for Service Action

Ken, Jeff, Frank, Rex

In section 3.1.3 Using Communication Action for Service Action.  We are getting to the key for developing real SOA insight.  The real issue is the cause and effect chain of events which happen during SOA interaction.  I would really like to have a more definitive discussion of the chain of events (action driven) which happen within an SOA.  There are actually two distinct classes of communications action which may take place.  The first is the “Activation or Initiation” communication action.  This becomes the trigger event (cause) for the service action which is the service performing the directed capability action to happen.  The final or third is the “Reporting or Response” communication action.  Because communication action is a joint action the policies for both Activation and  Reporting as well as any Service/Capability action must be articulated (Service Description).  These three actions have subjects and predicates which are the basis for any governance (including security) policies which must be satisfied to actually use the service.  If we can clearly define this causal chain of events and the important Policy Enforcement Points (PEPs), we will help the SOA architectural community in actually implementing a SOA ecosystem.

David E. Ellis

Information Management Architect