Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] RWE mismatch in latest figure 4

The distinction between goal and intent seems to me to be a little slippery.

Conventionally, the idea is that intent captures the commitment that an actor has to achieve a goal. An actor may have many goals, but those that are committed to are those the actor intends.

Action is about volition - an actor intends that the action happen.

The original definition of action went something like the application of force on an object. However, that does not seem to translate too well to software systems. The idea of application of intent is that that is something that can be done entirely in software: the program calls the right function because that is what the program 'wanted' to do.

There does seem to be a real distinction between goals and intents -- the commitment operator (if you will).

The rest is up for word-smithing and clarification.

Frank