Subject: Re: OASIS-Open Group SOA Activity

Hello all. Mary McRae succeeded me as primary TC rules guru, so I've
also copied her here. There are a couple of ways for you to proceed.

(The underlying issue is that official OASIS TC business meetings
should only be attended by TC members, because those who participate
are making potential IPR contributions to the committee's work, and
so must be subject to the licensing and related duties created by
our IPR policy. So a nonmember of OASIS is not eligible; OASIS
members who attend an OASIS TC in which they are *not* themselves a
committee member can observe, but aren't permitted to participate
actively.)

But there's still a way to do this. Several, actually. We like it
when groups talk to each other and collaborate :)

In the short term, I suggest that the OASIS TC create a session next
to, but not part of, its upcoming TC face-to-face, in which its
members can exchange views with the Open Group SOA team. As long as
there's a clear delineation between that session, and the TC's
official meeting, I'd guess this will not be a rules problem for
OASIS. Mary's copied here and this is her domain.

Second, under our Liaison Policy:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#tcliaison
we do permit OASIS TCs to create direct liaisons; and there are
provisions for handling this using various classes of OASIS
membership. Persons designated as liaisons really ought to have
eligibility under both orgs, so that they effectively can transmit
data, as appropriate, back and forth. I encourage the SOA-RM TC to
look into identifying and appointing someone for that role.

Finally, it sounds like the OASIS folks also would have the
opportunity to attend the February 2009 Open Group event. I've
attended several TOG events, representing OASIS; they've always been
productive and enjoyably educational presentations.

The whole project of reconciling, mapping and sharing models here
sounds like a great, positive development. Kudos to you all for
putting energy into it. If this leads either to significant updates
to the OASIS work, or possible formal contributions of work between
the two orgs, please let staff here know, so that we can support it
properly. Warm regards Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark