Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] OASIS' Ref Ontology for SOA

At this point, quite a bit of the document is currently a review of
Ontologies in general and the OASIS SOA RM.  Currently, section 4
contains most of the new material.  The emphasis of section 4 is
semantics based service description with the inclusion of mediators for
the purpose of automated ontology-based reasoning for matching needs and
capabilities in a SOA-based ecosystem.

Comparing and contrasting the OASIS Ref Ontology for SOA with the OASIS
SOA RA would mostly be a comparison between section 4 of the Ref
Ontology for SOA and Section 4.1, Service Description, of the OASIS SOA
RA. With some time and effort, this could be a merging point between the
two documents.

The Reference Ontology for Semantic Service Oriented Architectures does
distinguish itself from the OASIS SOA RA by stating:

"The Reference Ontology presented in this document is a further step
towards formalization of the Reference Model but also accommodates the
extensions associated with Semantic Web Services resulting in Semantic
SOAs. Since the start of this work, the SOA-RM committee have also
started work on a Reference Architecture, which also aims at further
formalisation of the reference model, but we consider ontologisation
central to the semantics-based approach and diverge. Indeed when we say
Reference Architecture we shall refer to a reference architecture for
SEEs, not to the SOA Reference Architecture.  Furthermore when we say
Concrete Architectures we refer to implementations of semantics-enabled
SOAs such as WSMX [2] , IRS III [3] and METEOR-S [4] ."

Danny