Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] OASIS' Ref Ontology for SOA

see inline.  Note, this is why the section on Assigning Values to Description Instances also asks for semantics.

On Dec 2, 2008, at 2:35 PM, Mike Poulin wrote:

While I am also in favor of mediation, I see a few open issues this this approach and RA take:
1) we state that the service has to be defined and announced via Service Description. The latter has to be understood by a potential consumer, i.e. information in the Service Description has to be based on the ontologies and semantic known to the potential consumer.

The semantics has to be clearly identified so a potential consumer can determine whether s/he understands what message (payload) to send to the service or can engage appropriate mediation for semantic negotiation.

2) if the service/service provider shares the ontologies and semantic with the potential consumer, there is no need for mediation

Mediation, especially if automated, may still be needed if the semantic negotiation is not trivial.

3) if the service/service provider DOES NOT share the ontologies and semantic with the potential consumer, the mediation might help but how the consumer would understand what the service is about in the first place (i.e. from the Service Description)?

Hence the need to unambiguously identify your vocabulary/semantic model.

4) if the mediation should be used for @bridging@ needs with capabilities, it must be specified in the Service Contract, otherwise, there is not guarantee that the service satisfies real needs of the consumer (due to misunderstanding of the capabilities)

As with any conditions of use, this should be clearly specified if required.

Any thoughts how to address these issues?

- Michael

P.S. To my knowledge, Semantic Web addresses only interface (connectivity) semantics but does not deal with Service Description, Service Contract, service busienss functionlaity and RWE (besides the part of it visible through the interface)